Owner: New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT)
Client: CCA Civil Inc. and Halmar International LLC/SJH Engineering P. C.
Location: Bronx and New York counties
Construction Cost: $407 million
The project consists of removal and replacement of the existing pavement deck on the 1,485-foot bridge, including the 505-foot main steel arch span. Work included adding shoulders in both directions of traffic to allow room for stalled vehicles, retrofitting and painting the steel superstructure, eliminating and replacing pavement joints in the bridge deck and replacing bearings, drainage components, overhead sign structures, and highway lighting.
In addition, the ramp connecting the eastbound Trans-Manhattan Expressway to the 181st Street Bridge in Manhattan was replaced with a steel box girder structure that also included the removal of structural columns from the Interstate 95 median. Other work included replacement of the Undercliff Avenue Bridge and the rehabilitation of the ramps that make up the Highbridge Interchange between the Cross Bronx and Major Deegan expressways in the Bronx.
- Review of the Subsurface Soil Conditions
- Design of the Abutments and Retaining walls for Temporary Ramp Bridge 5A
- Design of the Abutments and Retaining walls for Temporary Ramp Bridge 3A
- Design of the Abutments and Retaining walls for Temporary Ramp Bridge 7A
- Prepare Design Calculation Report